Delicious, healthy, vegetarian curry and accoutrements!
Veggie Curry – Ingredients
- 1 courgette
- 1 aubergine
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 butternut squash
- any other veg you like
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 carton of passata/ sieved tomatoes
- Spice mix: 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp curry powder, 1/4 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, 2 cloves garlic, salt and pepper
Veggie curry – Method
- Chop all the veg and place in a slow cooker (you can use a normal pan if you prefer)
- Fry off the garlic and spices in 2-3 tbsp of oil in a medium sized pan
- Add the chopped tomatoes and passata to form the sauce
- Pour over the vegetables and set on ‘High’ for four hours, or low for longer. (If using a normal pan, simmer until the vegetables are cooked)
- When cooked, add coconut milk, stir thoroughly and serve.
Lentil dahl – Ingredients
- 1 diced onion
- 1 cup of lentils
- Spice mix – salt, pepper, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 and 1/2 cups of vegetable stock
Lentil dahl – Method
- Soften the onion in plenty of oil (2-3 tbsp)
- Add the spices
- Add the lentils and stock
- Simmer until lentils are tender – you may need to add more stock
Rice – Ingredients
- 2 tbsps butter
- 1 cup basmati rice
- Bay leaf
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp tumeric
- can of chickpeas (optional)
- 1 and 1/2 cup of water
Rice – Method
- Melt the butter
- Add the rice and coat in the butter
- Add the spices and water
- Boil for 15 minutes, checking water levels every few minutes
- Chop the rest of the butternut squash
- Heat oven to 180 degrees
- Coat the squash in oil and 1 tsp of ground cinnamon and 1 tsp of ground ginger
- Roast for about 20 minutes, depending on the size of your chunks etc.
- Raita: Natural yoghurt with chopped cucumber and mint makes a refreshing dip.
- Chopped banana or raisins add a little sweetness.
- Naan bread is surprisingly simple to make – have a go.